Followers

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Managing The Older Sibling: Diary of A New Mum

image source

One of the most important things that having a second baby taught us was that it was a wrong decision on our part earlier to not want to give our daughter a sibling. You see, we, and especially me, were so in love with her and so involved and complete, that we didn't feel the need to get another baby home.

Our daughter too feels that we are the best people in the world for her (I can't wait to see how long that remains)! :-) It's such a lovely feeling, right?

But yes, she did begin asking for a baby sis, and thankfully, that is what she got.

A lot changed once the baby was born, of course there was some amount of change in the way I get to spend time with her on a one-to-one basis. Earlier I would give her my time 24*7, now of course that's a bit divided. I can't take her in my lap all the time like I did and like we both loved to. I can't go out with her whenever I want, or I can't put her to sleep every night (daddy takes care of that most nights as I have to be with the baby.)

But one change, that has not come from us, and instead, we see in most of those outside our immediate
family circle, is the attitude towards the older sibling.

With a new baby in the house, almost everyone oohs and aaahs over the little one. While earlier our elder daughter would be the cynosure of all eyes and the cute little doll everyone would play with, the baby has now become the attention of all.

I understand it is bound to happen, with people outside, they don't really realise that just because there's a smaller baby in the picture, the other child isn't as cute or as sweet and small as she was earlier.

We of course can't change their attitude.

But we surely can keep in mind a few things...

So it is, that for us, our first born still remains our little doll even though she is supposedly a big sis now! :-) Each time we pick out something for the baby, we make sure we get a something for her too. Our cuddles and hugs are mostly group ones....we snuggle up together, we tickle each other, we constantly tell her how much we love her.

And no matter what happens, we let her know that she was, and still remains, and still will forever remain, our Princess Number One!

- Debolina Raja Gupta

**********************************************
And like I always believe in and say:
'Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children' - MJ
Happy Parenting!!!!

Be good to your little one, and to the millions of little ones out there who truly need every bit of love and compassion they can get.....Be a grown up...save the little ones.... Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...